Sunday, December 28, 2008

The difficulty with mythical creatures is that they are completely unreliable.  Take the Tooth Fairy.  Last week she completely forgot to stop by and pick up Cayman's first lost tooth.  In fact, right after I woke the kids up the next morning, I distinctly heard an "oh crap!" whispered through the air.  Sure enough, Cayman reached under the pillow to find...her tooth still there.

I struggled to figure out how to explain this surprising turn of events.  I expressed shock, surprise, dismay.  Then settled on disbelief and uncertainty.  While Cayman was brushing her teeth in the bathroom, I ran back to my room to...do some unexplainable "big people" things.  And then came back and asked Cayman again, are you sure that she didn't leave a note or anything?

We looked under her pillow, looked under the bed, removed all her blankets.  Finally, I even overturned her mattress, and that's when I finally had the opportunity to....  I mean, that's where we finally found it.  A HK$20 bill and a note written on stationary that looks suprisingly like the one in my desk, but that I predict will soon conveniently disappear.

The Tooth Fairy explained that she thought Cayman would want to show her first lost tooth to her Daddy, who happened to be out of town on business, and politely asked her to leave this fist tooth under her pillow with her next tooth.  Of course, she failed to explain why she chose to leave the note and money under the mattress, rather than under the pillow as she normally does.  And we can't presume to understand the capricious nature of fairies....

Actually, upon further reflection, the Tooth Fairly may have a faulty memory, but she sure can think fast upon her feet!

1 comment:

Jennifer said...

The tooth fairy was deliquent at our house too. I explained that some days the tooth fairy as too many teeth to pick up in one day, so she may get a little behind. Aiden dutifully waited another night, when sure enough she came and did her duty...

You should hear the tails I spin around Santa... actually, I wrote a blog about lies I tell my kids too! http://www.printculture.com/item-1655.html